Content Warning: Suicide. Self-harm.
Soaring rates of suicide and mental health disorders have created one of our gravest current public health crises — it’s been said that even before the COVID-19 pandemic, we were facing “an epidemic of loneliness.” Gears of War has always stood for belonging, which is why on the eve of World Suicide Prevention Day, our message and promise is simple: Never Fight Alone.
Today, we are proud to announce that The Coalition will donate 1% of net revenue from all Gears of War games and merchandise to organizations working to prevent suicide and combat loneliness through mental health advocacy. This is a multi-year commitment our studio is making to give back to our community and create real-world impact. We are proud to announce Crisis Text Line as our first partner. As we continue to grow and evolve this program, we hope to be able to partner with more organizations around the world.
Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention in the US, UK, Canada and Ireland by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need. In the US, support is available in both English and Spanish. Text ‘PAUSE’ to 741741 or WhatsApp at (443)-SUPPORT to reach volunteer Crisis Counselors available 24/7 to help you or a friend through any mental health crisis.
“In 2021, we had 1.3 million conversations with texters who needed help with issues like anxiety, depression and suicide. We’re honored to partner with The Coalition & the Gears of War franchise to increase access to mental health support and suicide prevention services. Partnerships like this are so critical to addressing the mental health crisis in America and reaching our vision for an empathetic world where nobody feels alone,” says Dena Trujillo, CEO at Crisis Text Line.
Globally, the rate of suicide is alarmingly high. In the US, suicide rates and feelings of sadness and hopelessness are rising, especially with young people. Suicide is a leading cause of death that is completely preventable.
Themes of loss, grief, trauma, and even suicide have featured heavily in our games. We build connection when we process hard things together, and the beating heart of Gears of War has always been about belonging and connection. Our Never Fight Alone initiative allows us to not just talk about what it means to be there for each other but put our words into everyday action.
Fans who want to share in their support of the Never Fight Alone program can do so in a few ways:
- First and most importantly, we encourage everyone to take a moment to check in on friends and family today. A small gesture like a text, DM, Xbox message or even a call goes a long way to letting someone know that you care.
- Save “Text PAUSE to 741741” in your phone so you have it as a contact whenever you might need it.
- Join the conversation about suicide prevention, offer words of support and share Crisis Text Line with people who may be struggling on our @GearsofWar Twitter channel or follow along with #NeverFightAlone.
- Wear your support with the 2022 Never Fight Alone benefit tee from the Xbox Gear Store or Game Planet for those in Mexico. Designed by our close friend, Luke Preece, all proceeds from the purchase of this special edition tee will go directly to Crisis Text Line.
- Microsoft Rewards members in the United States can earn and donate points this weekend to Crisis Text Line by playing any Gears of War game. Download the Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox to earn points and donate today.
For more information on Never Fight Alone and our donation please visit gearsofwar.com/neverfightalone
The Coalition Debuts New Unreal Engine 5 Tech Test with 100x More Graphic Detail
How The Coalition Worked with Epic to Bring The Matrix Awakens to Life on Xbox Series X|S
Fortnite x Gears of War Crossover Available Now
Xbox Official news (news.xbox.com)